On Sunday, I took the boys to the Family & Children’s Garden, sponsored by Our Family Coalition, at Oakland’s Pride festival. The next time you see a story on the web or television about a Pride festival, remember the news media likes to show images that have “shock value”. That’s why you probably don’t see pictures of parents with their kids attending things like a fire engine, a bounce house, a petting zoo, or an arts & craft booth. Such pictures humanize people. Can’t have that. It’s off-message.
Most parents - whether they’re straight, gay, rich, poor, breast feed, bottle feed, work, stay-at-home, have tattoos, don’t have tattoos, whatever - share two things in common: they love their children and want what’s best for them. In the end, that’s what matters the most and focusing on that similarity rather than our differences would make the world (and internet) a much better place.
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- sweetcarolinealine likes this
- hey-there-moonflower likes this
- thesahmmy likes this
- 2boysandme likes this
- asimpledad likes this
- northernmomma likes this
- lazydad likes this
- bumbleeebeees said: Wonderfully said. I’ve always wanted to go to a Pride festival with my moms, but we never got to it. I hope I get to take Baby D next year to expose him to equal love.
- togetbackhomeward likes this
- bumbleeebeees likes this
- thedefinitionofmycharacter likes this
- mommaofboys likes this
- mybabygabrielle likes this
- kimber-leigh likes this
- johnandedwardplustwo likes this
- indymakes3 likes this
- sleeping-secrets likes this
- bujnik said: The reason I’ve never attended a Pride function is because I’ve only ever seen pictures of people dressed proactively. Gay or straight, man or woman I don’t like my children seeing people looking sexualized. Thanks for this, I’ll be checking it out.
- itsamiles likes this
- magmom likes this
- sweetpeafairies likes this
- electradaddy posted this
Stuff I Like
Just taught Liam how to dunk cookies in milk.
His life will never be the same.
Anonymous asked: will Ryan still see Zoe/be involved in her life now you guys have split? if not what would you tell her when she's older if she saw a picture of him with her and asked who he was?
He could be if he wanted to be, they were friends and I’d let him. I’d be willing to bet he won’t, he couldn’t be bothered making an effort with his...
Free Tee Friday!
This week’s Free Tee Friday is brought to you by the great city of Monstropolis!
“We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”