On Sunday, I took the boys to the Family & Children’s Garden, sponsored by Our Family Coalition, at Oakland’s Pride festival. The next time you see a story on the web or television about a Pride festival, remember the news media likes to show images that have “shock value”. That’s why you probably don’t see pictures of parents with their kids attending things like a fire engine, a bounce house, a petting zoo, or an arts & craft booth. Such pictures humanize people. Can’t have that. It’s off-message.
Most parents - whether they’re straight, gay, rich, poor, breast feed, bottle feed, work, stay-at-home, have tattoos, don’t have tattoos, whatever - share two things in common: they love their children and want what’s best for them. In the end, that’s what matters the most and focusing on that similarity rather than our differences would make the world (and internet) a much better place.
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- sweetcarolinealine likes this
- hey-there-moonflower likes this
- thesahmmy likes this
- 2boysandme likes this
- asimpledad likes this
- northernmomma likes this
- lazydad likes this
- bumbleeebeees said:Wonderfully said. I’ve always wanted to go to a Pride festival with my moms, but we never got to it. I hope I get to take Baby D next year to expose him to equal love.
- togetbackhomeward likes this
- bumbleeebeees likes this
- thedefinitionofmycharacter likes this
- mommaofboys likes this
- mybabygabrielle likes this
- kimber-leigh likes this
- judahandalexb likes this
- vernaveravin likes this
- bujnik said:The reason I’ve never attended a Pride function is because I’ve only ever seen pictures of people dressed proactively. Gay or straight, man or woman I don’t like my children seeing people looking sexualized. Thanks for this, I’ll be checking it out.
- miles--files likes this
- magmom likes this
- sweetpeafairies likes this
- electradaddy posted this
Stuff I Like
Yesterday a guy came up to me at work was like “How are you ever going to get a job with all those piercings?”
I’ll say that...
Going to work late today so the wife and I can take my daughter to her first movie. So excited. Much more than she is.
Work will be pissed though....
- Lost Cool
Please return as soon as possible.
My anger level depends on it.
pissed Off In The CA
- Eating for two
I posted right before Thanksgiving how I was thankful to be able to eat as much as I wanted since I was “eating for two” again this...