Ever since they could both sit upright, the twins have bathed together. In the baby days, as you can see from the picture, baths were in the kitchen sink. (Excuse me as I shed a few tears, wondering how time passed so quickly.)
Now that the boys are 5 years old, bath time is in my oversized bathtub. Bathing the boys together is a huge time savings and much easier for me. They still enjoy bathing together and given the size of my bathtub there’s plenty of room for them both. But, I’m beginning to wonder when (or if) I should begin bathing them separately.
I’m torn on whether I should arbitrarily put an end to the practice or wait and let one of them request an end to the communal bath. Alternatively, even with my oversized tub, there will soon come a time when they both won’t fit comfortably in the bathtub. Perhaps I should let that logistical constraint bring an end to the shared bathing.
For those of you with siblings, did you bathe together as children? For those of you with more than one child, do your kids bathe together? When do you think is the right time to end communal baths? Should the parents drive the decision or the kids?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- ourbeachbaby likes this
- hey-there-moonflower likes this
- bumbleeebeees likes this
- lettersforharper said:No advice. Just here to say “schweet babes!”
- asimpledad said:So cute. I take a bath or shower with Abe almost everyday. Bath time is the best.
- budvillage likes this
- mnvonbank likes this
- waiting4rufus said:I think it really depends on the kids. I’m the oldest of 4, but we didn’t have a bathtub until I was 3. I loved having my own water time, even then. My brothers were bathed together until more water ended up outside the tub than in.
- kimber-leigh likes this
- kimber-leigh said:My boys bathe together, but shower separately. I figure once their old enough to shower on their own will be the end of baths altogether so until then they’ll share bath time.
- bujnik said:I would say wait for them to request it, no rush as long as they’re both cool with it. I wish I could have bathed the kids together but since Ave was 4 years older and a boy it didn’t seem appropriate so we alternated nights.
- asimpledad likes this
- beecraigers said:My brother is 4 years younger than I and we bated together until I was probably 10. He was my sibling and I didn’t think it was weird or anything. If they don’t see it as a big deal I’d let them until they were older.
- sweetcarolinealine said:I think it can last for as long as they individually feel comfortable. One will probably outgrow it before the other, and then you all can sit down together, and have a nice convo where you can work out a schedule with them. :)
- sweetcarolinealine likes this
- rookiemoms said:We still bathe our 5 + 7 year old together, and they are boy/girl. - Whitney
- thekidhasarrived said:Bathed with sibling, bathed with friends (of same sex) til prob age 9. I don’t think it’s a big deal until they think it is. Also, am jealous of your double sinks and what looks like actual counter space. Can I come live with you?
- togetbackhomeward said:My sister and I bathed together, I think until I got too big. Being 3.5 years older, it stopped being fun for me, and we are both tall, so we quickly ran out of space. I want to bathe my guys together until they express discomfort, or out grow it.
- togetbackhomeward likes this
- mywildloves likes this
- thegreenfather said:We bath ours together and even sometimes with one of us due to easiness, sometimes Lilly asks to have a bath on her own so we let her but other times she wants the company, do what ever you find easiest
- mommaofboys likes this
- lazydad likes this
- northernmomma said:I think you should let the boys decide too. ;) They will let you know if it isn’t comfortable. The only reason I stopped is because my husband deployed I started giving my guys showers at 2 & 5…they were faster
- mommagreen said:mine both bathe together, but they are only 3 and 1 but it’s soooo much easier and quicker together I’d wait till they request it if I were you xx
- magmom said:I think the kids should drive it. Around 7 my oldest starting switching to showers (her choice) and that ended bathing with her younger siblings. My 5 and 3 year old still mostly take baths together. Occasionally they want separate ones, though.
- punkdad said:Omg that’s the cutest picture ever. I was the only boy so my parents bathed me always separate from the girls.
- electradaddy posted this
Stuff I Like
- Throwback Thursday, Christmas 2008
That time we stuck a Santa hat on Big’s head and plopped him on a rocking horse and...
Today we are going Christmas shopping. This is the first year we’ll be able to afford to buy our son presents.
Brb while I cry my eyes out.
- “I despise my own hypersensitiveness, which requires so much reassurance. It is certainly abnormal to crave so much to be loved and understood.”
When my Dr said, “Make sure you get lots of rest,” I started to laugh, and he started to laugh, and we laughed because a person with three kids will...
- Did It Again
Simply can’t resist napping with my boy.
- Happy 3 Weeks
Little Man! You have been growing so much. Today you weighed 9 lbs 7 oz! That is almost two full pounds past your birth weight.
- you have to destroy the brain
The day before Thanksgiving, I received an email about a lice outbreak at Adelaide’s school.
This afternoon, I...