Ever since they could both sit upright, the twins have bathed together. In the baby days, as you can see from the picture, baths were in the kitchen sink. (Excuse me as I shed a few tears, wondering how time passed so quickly.)
Now that the boys are 5 years old, bath time is in my oversized bathtub. Bathing the boys together is a huge time savings and much easier for me. They still enjoy bathing together and given the size of my bathtub there’s plenty of room for them both. But, I’m beginning to wonder when (or if) I should begin bathing them separately.
I’m torn on whether I should arbitrarily put an end to the practice or wait and let one of them request an end to the communal bath. Alternatively, even with my oversized tub, there will soon come a time when they both won’t fit comfortably in the bathtub. Perhaps I should let that logistical constraint bring an end to the shared bathing.
For those of you with siblings, did you bathe together as children? For those of you with more than one child, do your kids bathe together? When do you think is the right time to end communal baths? Should the parents drive the decision or the kids?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- ourbeachbaby likes this
- hey-there-moonflower likes this
- bumbleeebeees likes this
- lettersforharper said: No advice. Just here to say “schweet babes!”
- asimpledad said: So cute. I take a bath or shower with Abe almost everyday. Bath time is the best.
- budvillage likes this
- mvonbank likes this
- waiting4rufus said: I think it really depends on the kids. I’m the oldest of 4, but we didn’t have a bathtub until I was 3. I loved having my own water time, even then. My brothers were bathed together until more water ended up outside the tub than in.
- kimber-leigh likes this
- kimber-leigh said: My boys bathe together, but shower separately. I figure once their old enough to shower on their own will be the end of baths altogether so until then they’ll share bath time.
- bujnik said: I would say wait for them to request it, no rush as long as they’re both cool with it. I wish I could have bathed the kids together but since Ave was 4 years older and a boy it didn’t seem appropriate so we alternated nights.
- asimpledad likes this
- themarvelfamily said: My brother is 4 years younger than I and we bated together until I was probably 10. He was my sibling and I didn’t think it was weird or anything. If they don’t see it as a big deal I’d let them until they were older.
- sweetcarolinealine said: I think it can last for as long as they individually feel comfortable. One will probably outgrow it before the other, and then you all can sit down together, and have a nice convo where you can work out a schedule with them. :)
- sweetcarolinealine likes this
- rookiemoms said: We still bathe our 5 + 7 year old together, and they are boy/girl. - Whitney
- thekidhasarrived said: Bathed with sibling, bathed with friends (of same sex) til prob age 9. I don’t think it’s a big deal until they think it is. Also, am jealous of your double sinks and what looks like actual counter space. Can I come live with you?
- togetbackhomeward said: My sister and I bathed together, I think until I got too big. Being 3.5 years older, it stopped being fun for me, and we are both tall, so we quickly ran out of space. I want to bathe my guys together until they express discomfort, or out grow it.
- togetbackhomeward likes this
- mywildloves likes this
- thegreenfather said: We bath ours together and even sometimes with one of us due to easiness, sometimes Lilly asks to have a bath on her own so we let her but other times she wants the company, do what ever you find easiest
- mommaofboys likes this
- lazydad likes this
- northernmomma said: I think you should let the boys decide too. ;) They will let you know if it isn’t comfortable. The only reason I stopped is because my husband deployed I started giving my guys showers at 2 & 5…they were faster
- mommagreen said: mine both bathe together, but they are only 3 and 1 but it’s soooo much easier and quicker together I’d wait till they request it if I were you xx
- indymakes3 said: I bath all 3 together days, It’s easier and saves water. I always bathed with my sister until i was about 12 also. I think they’ll decide if they don’t want to share a bath anymore.
- indymakes3 likes this
- magmom said: I think the kids should drive it. Around 7 my oldest starting switching to showers (her choice) and that ended bathing with her younger siblings. My 5 and 3 year old still mostly take baths together. Occasionally they want separate ones, though.
- punkdad said: Omg that’s the cutest picture ever. I was the only boy so my parents bathed me always separate from the girls.
- electradaddy posted this
Stuff I Like
A few things.
1. The Walking Dead is starting to freak me out. Seriously. Who has been bitten?
2. Toddlers can be assholes. No joke. I love my son...
electradaddy asked: Re: your cereal post. I always eat cereal with a tea spoon. Makes it last longer. I like to enjoy the goodness of Fiber One laced with Cap'n Crunch.
I eat all spoon foods with a teaspoon, unless its something hearty and chunky, like stew.
I could legit get by with as many big spoons in the...
So I did an informal poll via text today.
Everyone has finally gotten back to me with the results.
Amongst all the members of my family we...
Just a quickie.
Home now! We had a pretty wonderful time, but I am indescribably happy to be home.
I only gained 0.5 lbs on our trip and Chad says...
LOVE IT SO MUCH!
THIS TIME LAST YEAR
in europe we don’t say “i hate you” we say “nil points” which roughly translates as “we still hold a grudge against you for...