While walking by a classroom at my twins’ school, I overheard a first grade teacher saying, “I want anyone wearing pink to put their homework in the basket on my desk.” Over the rustling sound of several students standing up and moving towards the teacher’s desk, I heard the teacher offer this clarification, “Basically, this means I want all the girls to put their homework in the basket on my desk.”
To hear an authority figure say something so absurd to young, impressionable students and then thinking of all the work I’ve done with my kids to make sure they don’t ascribe to or limit themselves to such ridiculous gender stereotypes, I wanted to rush in and rescue the students from the grips of such silliness. But, instead, a small part of me died.
I also noted her name and decided, “No way that idiot is teaching one of my kids next year.”
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- fermatatatardis likes this
- hey-there-moonflower likes this
- nowamama likes this
- lettersforharper likes this
- designingdaddy likes this
- thecynicalcrayon likes this
- dollywantacracker likes this
- sweetcarolinealine likes this
- togetbackhomeward said: Mamamusement took the words out of my mouth. Seriously.
- togetbackhomeward likes this
- northernmomma said: In her defense…maybe it was just an observation of her class…saying all of the girls in her class were wearing pink today…not that boys cannot wear pink. I could be wrong but I have played that game before as a way to teach observation :(
- piggyvonninja said: What an idiot.
- piggyvonninja likes this
- thepreppyhippielife likes this
- asimpledad said: People can be so ignorant. It is again putting people in boxes. I think I would say something nicely, which I know you would, to the principal
- bageldreams likes this
- penelopejade likes this
- mommaofboys likes this
- lazydad likes this
- lazydad said: Ugh.
- myworldmytrue likes this
- kimcheez likes this
- kimber-leigh likes this
- magmom likes this
- punkdad likes this
- mywildloves likes this
- themamalogues likes this
- themamalogues said: Or, if your kids get her for a teacher make sure they wear pink everyday? As Bugs used to say, what a maroon!
- seejanerum likes this
- ifapictureisworthathousandwords likes this
- bustedclutch likes this
- marshlights likes this
- oneluckyelephant likes this
- mamamusement said: Might be worth educating the teacher that pink, historically, was a male color up until the 1920s when Macy’s began the separation of colors as a way to discourage hand-me-downs & encourage spending.
- stay-alittle said: ugh! thats terrible!
- brokenxrecord likes this
- thedaddycomplex likes this
- electradaddy posted this
Stuff I Like
Telling old people you use cloth diapers.
Is awesome. They’re all, you’re crazy! Why would you do that?
And than you show them the diaper and they...
You know you're a parent when...
A tv show makes you upset over the fact that you don’t have enough vital organs to give your children.
I ran 3.14 miles tonight. A Facebook friend pointed out that’s both a 5K and pi.
I think that’s pretty rad.
And now I want pie.