By now, most people have heard about the latest Boy Scout drama involving Ryan Andresen. According to his parents, despite having completed all of the requirements, Ryan has been denied his Eagle Scout award simply because he’s gay. In one interview, Ryan also claims that his scout leader knew he was gay and said they would find a way to work around the issue.
Three cities (Lafayette, Moraga, & Orinda) run together and are collectively referred to as Lamorinda. I live in Lafayette and Ryan lives in Moraga, which is also where his scout troop is based. So, this story is basically unfolding right in front of me.
If you think his story has gained a lot of national and international attention, you can’t imagine how it has exploded here. It’s all anybody is talking about. This morning the woman in front of me at the grocery store spent 10 minutes arguing with the cashier about the issue. Most residents are expressing support for Ryan, which is nice to see and hear.
But, I have to say that I’m amazed at the number of people who’ve been telling me that they didn’t realize the Boy Scouts really took all that anti-gay stuff seriously. I keep thinking, “Ummm. Where the heck have you been for the past decade?” But, whatever. At least this story is focusing more attention on the policies of the Neckerchief Gang (aka Boy Scouts of America).
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- lettersforharper likes this
- thesahmmy likes this
- dollywantacracker likes this
- muchadoaboutannie likes this
- jimnasium likes this
- neuroticdad said:Those bastards should be ashamed of themselves
- asimpledad likes this
- mommaofboys likes this
- superheroesfightdragons likes this
- ourbeachbaby likes this
- piggyvonninja likes this
- rockabillymomma said:So sad!
- rockabillymomma likes this
- sweetpeafairies likes this
- northernmomma said:This is one of two reasons my boys are not and will never be in boy scouts unless things drastically change and I don’t foresee this happening
- howbo15 likes this
- kimcheez likes this
- kimber-leigh likes this
- magmom likes this
- punkdad likes this
- daysofthedad likes this
- thedaddycomplex likes this
- electradaddy posted this
Stuff I Like
- The Sound Of Music Live
My baby is trying to sing during every song. It’s adorbs.
- Last night I went through 4-ish years worth of the girls' outgrown clothes.
I sorted stuff that I wanted to hold onto for a possible future kid,...
- wordslikeswords asked:After you receive this, you must share 5 random facts about yourself and then copy and send to your ten fave followers :)
Awesome! Thanks for tagging me. Ok, here we go:
1. I like to have my calves massaged (no one does it except my opposite foot :(
2. When I’m bored...