Needing a gift for a child, I stopped by our local Lakeshore Learning Store which usually has a nice selection of educational type toys. I almost bought this Pengoloo game when I noticed the “Mom-Tested!” sticker.
What’s up with that? It’s 2013 and “Mom-Tested!” is supposed to be a subtle gold standard indicator for a non-gender-specific item such as a game? How about “Dad-Tested!” or even better “Parent-Tested!”?
Having my smart phone with me I decided to pop over to the website for Parenting magazine. Here’s what the website says about “Mom-Tested!”
Parenting magazine calls on a wealth of talent to determine what products earn the “Mom-Tested” label. Volunteer moms from across the country reality-test these items with their own families in their own homes. When they report back on their favorites, we know these products have been approved by the toughest critics out there: real moms like you.
Here’s what I found when I searched the Parenting website for “dad-tested”.
0 results for “dad-tested”
So apparently only moms possess the “wealth of talent” necessary to “reality-test” games, such as Pengoloo, with “their own families in their own homes.”
Ok. No problem.
Then a mom can buy this game because this dad said, “To hell with that nonsense,” and bought a different game.
Sounds to me like Parenting magazine really ought to be called Moming magazine.
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- badasslegogirls likes this
- hey-there-moonflower likes this
- beyoncepatronus likes this
- thecynicalcrayon likes this
- bumbleeebeees likes this
- raisingava likes this
- stay-at-homedadblunders likes this
- jonahmakesthree likes this
- alan092177 reblogged this from stay-at-homedadblunders and added:
- alan092177 likes this
- stay-at-homedadblunders reblogged this from electradaddy and added:
- mamamusement likes this
- mammalingo likes this
- ourbeachbaby likes this
- fifthand57th said:They knew me by name at the Lakeshore in Tampa during my homeschooling years. Also, booooo on gender bias.
- fifthand57th likes this
- dollywantacracker said:We don’t buy “mom-tested” things either. How hard would it be to say “parent-tested” instead? Not hard at all. And they’re not going to convince me that no dad has tested these things out when they sent them out. Wayne’s all over new toys.
- dollywantacracker likes this
- asimpledad likes this
- mommywrites likes this
- neuroticdad said:"Dad-Tested" is reserved for scotch
- loveandresentment reblogged this from electradaddy
- loveandresentment likes this
- mnvonbank likes this
- lolkay likes this
- ipromisetowrite likes this
- magmom likes this
- discoballdad likes this
- howbo15 likes this
- daysofthedad likes this
- monkeybrainmama said:lame. I think there is a parent tested parent approved organization, but the results of my google search were blocked by my employer.
- kimber-leigh likes this
- rockabillymomma said:I agree!
- rockabillymomma likes this
- raisinglittlehumans said:Have you written them about it? You make a very good point
- thedaddycomplex likes this
- raisinglittlehumans likes this
- putontheshirt likes this
- electradaddy posted this
Stuff I Like
I was reading through some old posts the other day and realized that I seem to be a lot more negative than I was a year ago. The funny thing is that...
The Salvation Army has a history of active discrimination against gays and lesbians. While you might think you’re helping the hungry and homeless by...”
- Elevator News
So this morning the elevator told me that studies show red-haired women pick the best passwords. Well, duh. Just yesterday I changed a...
- Speak Up
I was having some pretty intense dreams last night, but I only remember bits and pieces. One thing I do remember is at one particularly...
- Not the Knot Monster[Scene:I am brushing Beth's hair]Me:"How did all these knots get in your hair? Maybe it was a knot monster."Beth:[age 5] "Oh, Daddy. There's no such thing as a knot monster."... ...
- Dear Coworker,
I dont think you appreciate how little I care about your feelings about my internet activities at work. All three of our bosses fuck...
Woke up to two kids hysterically crying over two equally ridiculous things.
Pretty sure my head is going to explode.