We spent Tuesday docked at Port Canaveral. Most folks took an 80-minute bus ride to Disney but DynaPapa and I, being the space geeks that we are, took the boys on a guided tour of the Kennedy Space Center.
It was fantastic. Best tour I’ve taken in years. I’ve included a picture of the shuttle launch pad and the famous VAB (Vehicle Assembly Building).
I’ve always loved astronauts. What’s not to love? They’re smart and usually very cute. As a child, I read all about the “Original 7” Gemini astronauts and the Apollo astronauts. (I’ve included a picture of our tour guide - who was fantastic - standing next to one of the Gemini exhibits.)
I have many memories of the Shuttle program. I can remember being in second grade and an astronaut speaking to my class, telling us that in a few years NASA would be launching a spacecraft that could travel into space and return to Earth - an unbelievable concept at the time. I remember being in elementary school and watching the very first shuttle launch. I also remember attending a high school assembly to see the first teacher being launched into space. I’ll never forget an entire auditorium of high school students sitting in complete silence as the grim reality that the astronauts had been killed began to sink in.
Despite the setbacks we experienced with the Shuttle program and Apollo 1 mission, our space program is a shining tribute to what we can accomplish as a nation. We were able to fulfill JFK’s instructions of putting a man on the moon and bringing him safely back to Earth in a relatively short period of time. And, we did this before we even invented wheels on luggage (1970).
While I’ll be happy with whatever career path my kids take, I have to admit that I’d be thrilled if they wanted to be astronauts or NASA engineers tasked with designing rockets or other things. Science and math weren’t my strong suit, but I hope my kids can excel in these areas.
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- sweetcarolinealine likes this
- rockabillymomma likes this
- thecynicalcrayon likes this
- hey-there-moonflower likes this
- thesahmmy likes this
- mediocremommy likes this
- generxdad likes this
- cornerof5thand57th said: This is my biggest FL regret. We never went there when I lived in Tampa. Maybe we should go back!
- polishgypsy87 likes this
- cornerof5thand57th likes this
- mrstu likes this
- savannahloveinc likes this
- ourtwolittlemonkeys likes this
- superheroesfightdragons said: YES. SPACE SCIENCE!!! Most of the technology we have in our own homes comes from inventions made for space! Science and math are not my strong suit either BUT I do love it and appreciate how it makes our lives easier haha
- superheroesfightdragons likes this
- bageldreams said: They would be welcome in the grand city of H-town! ;)
- bageldreams likes this
- togetbackhomeward likes this
- kimber-leigh likes this
- mysolitaryskirmishes likes this
- mamaswears likes this
- monkeybrainmama likes this
- bardincognito likes this
- howbo15 likes this
- magmom said: Jealous! What an amazing thing to get to see!
- muchadoaboutannie likes this
- mywildloves said: With your guidance, Im sure they will.
- mywildloves likes this
- theramblingark said: so cool!
- theramblingark likes this
- magmom likes this
- andsoisyourface likes this
- punkdad said: So amazing.
- daysofthedad likes this
- punkdad likes this
- photosbykime said: i LOVE that you went there instead of Disneyland! This is a real experience to remember and enjoy!
- jimnasium likes this
- electradaddy posted this
Stuff I Like
- “You have to fight through the bad days to get the best days of your life. Relapse and sad days happen, but they do not define you or block you from...”
- “A beautiful day begins with a beautiful mindset. When you wake up, take a second to think about what a privilege it is to simply be alive and...”
- When someone boasts about what good sleepers their babies are
- When you start sleep training
Also… FedEx AND UPS are coming by today… I wonder if they’ll have an epic battle outside our doorstep.
Ordered my new atomizer for my e-cig. It’s coming from Greece, so I hope for a speedy delivery… It’s the descendant of the one that I’ve been using...
OKAY OKAY OKAY I KNOW THERE ARE SO MANY FANDOMS STARTING NOW, LIKE THE SINK FANDOM AND THE TREEHOUSE FANDOM AND THE BLANKET...
- “We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in...”
- Which way will it go...
Woke up 25 minutes late after accidentally hitting “off” instead of snooze on the alarm, got up and realized there was no...